Thursday, June 9, 2016

Introducing The Blood Dark Sea

The author of our first book in the Rock River Literary Series, Jesus Correa, claims to be the best dishwasher in the world, and he is proving his claim by washing dishes tonight. Which means that for just this one night, I get to be Jesus Correa (put on hat and glasses). I'd like to read my favorite piece from Jesus' book, Iced Cream, before bringing up Dennis Gulling. This piece is called...

Then I have to read a piece from Iced Cream. Then I have to introduce outlaw poet Dennis Gulling to read from his new book The Blood Dark Sea, hopefully go back and sit behind a Stella Artois or a Heineken, and wait for the whole book release party to be over.

This will be my evening in Rockford, Illinois. And it will be the end of a several week blur of events, work, vacation, and medical assessments. I am exhausted, and I just want it to be over, but I also want to put on the best show that I can and promote Rockford poetry to the best of my ability.

When will the Rancho Cucamonga Kookamungas return to Rockford to compete in the Outsider Poetry Slam? Not sure. But I need an evening of watching the Monster Club, listening to the rain, and not worrying about results of an Echocardiogram. I hope that a slow response from my cardiologist means he doesn't see anything that constitutes an emergency, but I know enough about our medical system to know it could easily mean he just hasn't looked at it yet. 

Getting this book release party off my plate will reduce my stress level immensely. I have to write a poem about Jesus Correa, then pick out a poem from his book I want to read. Knowing that it will be a small crowd of mostly family and friends just isn't much help now. It is three in the afternoon, but it feels like I've been awake for weeks. Seven states last week. Haven't caught up yet. All my blogs unfed. It's hard to squeeze weeks worth of relaxing into two days, especially when you have to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment